[Advaita-l] Sola Fide (was Re: Sraddha and Chitta-shuddhi)

Michael Shepherd michael at shepherd87.fsnet.co.uk
Sun Apr 5 04:27:43 CDT 2009

namaste,

I couldn't agree more : believing that a word in one language ever 'equals'
a word in another language. debases both languages..

in partial defence of the word 'idol' : educated Europeans and Americans, at
home and abroad, knew something of Greek and Latin up to the 19th century,
even into the 20th. They woujld know that in Greek, 'eidos' simply means a
form which contains an 'idea', an 'eidolum' is a smaller form; and this was
taken into Latin as 'idolum'. Thus for the educated, the word carried no
pejorative meaning..

Of course, in 'missionary' religious terms, such words are consciously or
unconsciously distorted...'look, they worship a lump of stone' etc.. and
'faith', for missionaries, means 'belief in the god I believe in'...
For all of which, I apologize, in the current fashion, for the sins of my
ancestors.. :) Faith means faith, and shradda means shradda..
'Words MEAN .. what they DO'.. that's one of the jewels of thought which I
cherish. That keeps things real.

Michael