[Advaita-l] Pancikarana vs. Trivrtkarana (analysis)

Sunil Bhattacharjya sunil_bhattacharjya at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 15 01:31:55 CDT 2009

Bhaskarji,

I am very much away from my place in India and I do not have the relevant Sankarbhashya with me. May be another member may be able to send you the portions you asked for.

The Matsya purana says about the five essential criteria of the puranas. There is no doubt that the  puranas were written also for the women and the common man who have no Vedic initiation. Vedavyasa makes it very clear in the beginning of the Bhagavata purana, the last of the puranas at the same time the highest of puranas as told by the Padma purana. But the puranas are equally essential for the Vedic scholars. I think we cannot demean them just because they have been made useful to the uninitiated also.

If my memory serves me right it is the Vayu purana, which says that the Vedas and the Puranas were together as one Veda called the Yajurveda before that was divided into the four Vedas and the Puranas.

Sunil K. Bhattachatrjya