[Advaita-l] Patanjali Yoga Sutra. I.3

Jaldhar H. Vyas jaldhar at braincells.com
Wed Apr 29 16:32:30 CDT 2009

On Mon, 27 Apr 2009, Sunil Bhattacharjya wrote:

> Lord Krishna mentions that he revealed Yoga to Vivasvan  and that was in
> the Satya Yuga. It was probably around that time Dattatreya taught Yoga
> Shastra and we have these details in purana as well as in the Dattatreya
> Yoga Shastra (DYS), which are extant till today.

But is the yoga mentioned in the Gita and Puranas the same as the yoga in
the yogasutras?  As we have previously discussed in the list, at the
earliest stage, saMkhya and yoga are merely generic terms for "theory" and
"practice"  Every reference to them in the most ancient sources need not
refer to the full-blown classical dogma of samkhya/yoga.