[Advaita-l] shudra

Anbu sivam2 anbesivam2 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 24 11:52:58 CDT 2009

Michaelji,
This thread was started by you so I thought a clarity on the objective
understanding was the purpose and I participated.  Now you seem to get into
the dual role of a kavi and a non-kavi!

Understanding varna purely from the point of karma and understanding varna
as 'gunakarma' are two different things.  The former has led us into this
secular denunciation of Hindu varnasrama dharma.  We the learned ones can
atleast escape that ignorance.

Karma according to Bhagavan is one's right. (KarmaNye vaa adhikaarasthe..")
 What is a right is one's option not necessarily a destiny.  Precisely
because of this option  Bhagavan himself exhorts abandonment of karma.

Again Karma has been clearly divided into the four different categories and
a person is born equipped to carry on with karma that is best suited to his
equipment.  This is the praarabhda karma.

A janma should be known not necessarily as that which enables you to carry
out a karma but the experience that constitutes the bhoga.  Bhoga includes
both happiness and misery.  Actually there is more misery than happiness in
the janma.

Usurping others' karma is adharma.  Forcing on you a karma that you do not
like is an adhrma by the one who forces it on you.  A system that would
force on you a pursuit not suited to your guna is adharmic system.  Secular
society falls in that adharmic category.  A system that enables you to
fulfuil the purushartha is a dhaarmic system.

All these are part of varna understanding.