[Advaita-l] Ref request for somnath

Sarma KV sarmakv at gmail.com
Mon Aug 24 13:30:03 CDT 2009

:)

Dr. Yadu's anguish is understandable. But, blaming braahmaNa-s for this
situation is barking up the wrong tree. (I missed Dr. Yadu's original mail
on this topic and so I am still not clear on what is his contention. My
current reply is more on comparing the sanaatana/braamhaNa/Indian 'way' with
the modern way and pertains mostly to Dr. Yadu's mail dated Mon, Aug 24,
2009 at 7:05 PM IST.)

It will be an unending debate if Dr.Y and supporters of his line of thinking
have already fixed the blame on brahmin-s, even before entering this debate.

*Why ghaTa-paTa discussions are more important:*
Why are menial labor paid less than professors? Pure practical orientation
(dealing with tangible aspects only) is much inferior to pure
theory-orientation (ghaTa-aakaaSa discussions only.) For life in general,
there should be right mix of practicality and theory. "Right mix" is the
key.

Practical (karma) invariably involves karta and kriya. Doer and deed. Cause
and effect. Their annihilation (into the One) is an essential condition for
"advaita-sthithi." For this reason, advaitam (more generally 'vEdantam') is
never "practical."
But, the ghaTa-aakaaSa discussions (would) lead to understanding and
'realization' of the Truth; and anything done (or even said) by a realized
soul is infinitely more beneficial than otherwise. The sampradaayam had been
to aim for Realization and make all attempts towards that end. In the
process, the jeeva 'progresses' in *knowledge*. With this, practical life
automatically becomes efficient and improvement in 'life' is a bye-product.
In short: If "param" is taken care of, "iham" is automatically ensured. The
more we go away from *param*-orientedness, the more are the ills.

*Applications of traditions for masses:*
Westerners' systematic study of samskRtam is commendable. It is a good way
of learning the language and appreciating the scriptures (and probably
create more literature in samskRtam.) But, the traditional (Indian) way not
only teaches the language; it also results in *manOvikaasam* of the student.
With that maturity, the student will be equipped not only with the strength
to earn his bread (iham) he also would have the vichakshaNa to ensure
progress towards *param*. It is an elegant "way of life", not an art to be
taught or a product to be distributed among the masses.
Before the advent (invasion) of Muslims and Europeans to India, India was
the ony land where people lived in unimaginably high standards. In fact,
that is the reason why those invasions happened (to plunder the "riches.")
Even after millenia of plundering and dominating, and "developing" their own
sciences, technology, etc. in parallel; have anybody understood how to
achieve permanent bliss ("*SaaSvata aanandam*") other than by vEdic methods?
By other means only temporary happiness and comfort may be obtained, that
too quite inefficiently.

Western way of looking at life, learning, etc. have gradually dominated
Indian society thereby alienating more and more people from that elegant way
of life. The "vEdic method" is still intact, however.

*What is the solution?*
Don't try to drag the sanaatana/braahmaNa way of life into the modern frame
of reference. Instead, release yourselves from the modern mindset and
convert to the vEdic way. The realization that ALL happiness is in YOU will
dawn.

namastE
-Sarma KV

On Mon, Aug 24, 2009 at 10:47 PM, kman <krismanian at gmail.com> wrote:

> > Sarma KV wrote:
>

> >Just wanted to answer about paraSuraama.
>
> >paraSuraama was the only brahmin who did what you said. It is more
> symbolic
> >than factual. paraSuraama avataara was for "corrective" purpose. It is a
> one
> >time deed and He or anyone else advised any braahmaNa or others to
> "follow"
> >him in the kshatriya-obliteration.
>
> This is not an answer as I see it. It is as Dr Yadu says
> "hide behind smapradaaya "
>
> --
> Balu (Kman)

नगुरोरधिकं नगुरोरधिकं नगुरोरधिकं नगुरोरधिकम्।
शिवशासनतश्शिवशासनतः शिवशासनतश्शिवशासनतः ।।

Best Regards,
Syam