[Advaita-l] Aham brahmasmi

Michael Shepherd michael at shepherd87.fsnet.co.uk
Tue Dec 8 07:11:17 CST 2009

It's best to take this statement -- which means literally 'I am Brahman,
myself'  -- as they do in the Shankara maths, along with the other
mahavakya..So if it is taken as 'This Atman is the Brahman' then, as Jaldhar
says, we have the capacity to use the full glory of our own being, as
consciousness and witness, to unite the individual 'I' with the universal
'Brahman' -- the very essence of Advaita.
And we could add that it bestows the encouragement to seek this, not only
through shastra and guru and satsanga, but personally in our own purusha,
through our own prajna, intuitive intellect..

regards,
Michael