[Advaita-l] Conference on that Date of Adi Sankaracharya in October, 2002

Jaldhar H. Vyas jaldhar at braincells.com
Wed Dec 30 17:40:18 CST 2009

On Tue, 29 Dec 2009, S Jayanarayanan wrote:

> The last statement is extremely significant. The Sringeri Math is the
> greatest institution of traditional Dharma in India, if not the world.

Kartik, do not make this conversation degenerate into a "my guru is better
than your guru" contest.  That is not helpful to anyone.

The contributions of Kanchi and Holenarsipur to Advaita Vedanta are so
vast their views demand attention even from those who find the Shringeri
tradition self-sufficient.

At the same time I would remind readers that we follow these acharyas for
their knowledge of dharma and moksha not for their historical opinions.
It is not an offense if we disagree with one or more of them on the
historical details and by trying to understand the historical sequence of
our cultures development we are not impeding our progress in dharma and
moksha in any way.  (The corollary of this is don't obsess about
historical questions either.  It won't make you a better Advaitin.)