[Advaita-l] Science and Advaita

Michael Shepherd michael at shepherd87.fsnet.co.uk
Mon Feb 2 06:12:16 CST 2009

Subsequent to this posting. Naresh Cuntoor has very kindly pointed me to
earlier discussions here on this subject in 2005 and earlier again in 1999.
I have found these very helpful -- it will either shut me up or improve my
postings !

Perhaps the simplest point is that science (generally) investigates How ?
and Vedanta investigates Why ? Though of course, one set of anwers leads to
the other..

At the moment, Darwin's centenary is being celebrated with excellent TV
programmes on 'How Evolution?', but none ask 'Why Evolution' !

Reading the 2005 discussions, it occurs to me that a good question to
distinguish 'scientiific' and 'spiritual' thought is that of Day and
Night -- there's a 'How?' answer and a 'Why ?' answer.. But ultimately, both
answers must be One !

Michael