[Advaita-l] Meaning of Gayatri mantra

Ajit Krishnan ajit.krishnan at gmail.com
Tue Feb 10 14:58:12 CST 2009

namaste,

I'm looking for sanskrit commentaries on the Gayatri mantra. I will typeset
them and make the collection available.

So far, I have the following:

(a) various commentaries from vaidyanAtha dIkshitIyam (Mainly, from
smRiti-bhAskara, mantra-dIpikA, varadarAjA-s nitya-mantra-vyAkhyAna
and nirukta-bhAShyam)
(b) shankara bhAShyam on the relevant portion of the chAndogya upaniShad
(c) "gAyatrI upanishad" portion of the gopatha-brAhmaNa
(d) gloss called "pratyag brahmaikya bodhikA" attributed to shankara (from
Tamil Nadu)
(e) another bhAshyam attributed to shankara (from Andhra)
(f) gAyatrI-gItA

I'm looking for additional commentaries (including Sayana's), as well
as different editions of d,e,f, since the source material I have is full of
typos. I'm particularly looking for "(e) shankara bhAShyam" since the copy I
have is missing the remainder of the section which starts like this:
"yaH savitA devaH naH asmAkaM dhiyaH karmANi dharmAdi-viShayA vA buddhiH
pracodayAt prerayet, tat tasya . . . "

In anyone is interested in helping with the proofreading, please let me
know, and I'll gladly take you up on the offer.

bhavadIyaH,

       ajit