[Advaita-l] Dreams and Reality

Michael Shepherd michael at shepherd87.fsnet.co.uk
Thu Feb 19 19:25:29 CST 2009

Suresh,

I welcome your question : there seems to be no agreement or authority to
turn to to answer what might be the 'usefulness' of the dreaming state.

My personal experience of it during the 'fourth state' was that it
manifested as complete freedom of mind : to be empty, or to play with
thought.

What it suggests to me is that dreaming is a serious aspect of 'the  mind's
work' -- confirmed by those experiments when persons deprived of sleep go
into serious mental decline.

That 'work' can be 'getting rid of mental rubbish' as one advaitic authority
has claimed; or in its freedom, confronting fears and other hangovers from
the past, in order to face the future in better shape.

There are recorded occasions of scientific discoveries made during dream :
which suggests that the old association of dreams with 'artistic dreaming'
or 'creative dreaming' may well be correct : the mind free of other states,
awareness of actuality or non-awareness.

What is most extrordinary is the totally different individual dreams that
re-occur !

Personally again, my own dreams reveal concerns with anxiety and with
institutions -- and maybe help to ease or resolve these 'leftovers' that
beset the mind.

But I should be very glad to hear from those versed more deeply in the
Vedanta. Just writing off the dreaming state as maya doesn't take things
much further !

Michael