[Advaita-l] Dreams and Reality

Pranipata pranipata at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 19 19:52:23 CST 2009

Hari Om Shri Sureshji,  Pranaams!

I presume your question is, when you have a knowledge how can an experience
contrary to that knowledge happen and believed.

Vedanta puts the same question with respect to waking state also.

When you have clear knowledge that it is your body that is thin, short, your
organs that are weak or strong, your mind that is dejected or elated, how
come you are able to experience I am thin, I am short, I am strong, I am
weak, I am happy, I am miserable, etc. When you have clear knowledge that
your last experience with object did not give you satisfactory/lasting
happiness, how come again and again you long for the same object and expect
satisfactory/lasting happiness from it.

The problem is not in the state(avastha) but the mind choosing to believe
contrary to past experiences.

Hence advise to the mind - artham anartham bhAvaya; doSha drSThyA muhuH
muhuH ....

In Shri Guru Smriti,
Br. Pranipata Chaitanya