[Advaita-l] SRI SUKTAM - Meaning

Bhaskar YR bhaskar.yr at in.abb.com
Fri Feb 20 00:45:23 CST 2009

Humble praNAms Sri Vidya prabhuji
Hare Krishna

Sorry, for the past 5 days, I was out of town with my veda guruji & busy in
doing durga saptashati pArAyaNa & chandi hOma..Hence could not reply you
immediately.

prabhuji you said :

Finally, one should be careful about thinking there is a change in svara,

bhaskar :

For example, saraswati maNtra praNo devi saraswat vAjebhirvAjinivati
dheenAma vitryavat...Before doing veda pArAyaNa, we use this maNtra after
reciting gaNAnAntvA...This maNtra has different svara-s and we chant 'No'
(in praNo) with 'svarita/udAtta' ( that is one vertical bar on the letter
'No') if we are doing YV pArAyaNa..  But in RV 'No' will be recited with
deergha svarita (i.e. two vertical bars on the top of No) same is the case
with vAjebhirvAjinivati...

In yakshmanAshana maNtra, devi sUktam, dhAraNa saraswati maNtra, svasti
(like svastinomimitAm etc.) & shAnti maNtra-s (like bhadraM karNe
bhishruNuyAma devaH etc.), saura sUktaM (like udutyaM jAtavedasaM devaM
vahanti ketavaH etc.) too we have this svara bedha...Another example is
ApyAyasvasametute vishvataH sOmavrushNiyaM etc.. 'pya' (in
ApyAyasvasametute), has the udAtta in YV style of recitation & deergha
svarita in RV and accordingly we recite these maNtra-s...'maNtra maNjari'
clearly makes these differences in the printed version with references of
maNdala of RV saMhita & YV saMhita/brAhmaNa & AraNyaka and its viniyOga
also...

Kindly also clarify prabhuji whether chitraH kshatraM is correct OR chitra
kshatraM...( Sri Siva Senani Noori prabhuji any help in this regard?? )

Your humble servant
Hari Hari Hari Bol!!
bhaskar

PS : "tryambakaM yajAmaha ity Aha, mrutyOrmuksheeyamAmrutAditivAvaitadAha,
utkiranti, bhagasya leepsante" maNtra we chant while chanting mahAnyAsaM &
it is also used as one of the neerajana maNtra-s (especially while doing
shiva paNchAyataNa pooja)..Kindly let me know its 'viniyOga' in your
tradition.