[Advaita-l] Vedic Recitation Classes in Silicon Valley

S Jayanarayanan sjayana at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 22 16:36:03 CST 2009

I plan to offer Vedic recitation classes in the Silicon Valley/San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA. The classes can be held at my apartment home in Sunnyvale, but possibly also any other convenient location.

I think the first two classes can be held on March 6 and 7, and then we can decide on when to have the future classes. The reason for this is: March 6 and 7 are both auspicious dates to begin a new activity. It is recommended that not only should the first class be held on an auspicious day, but also that the second class not be missed by anyone (i.e. avoiding "dvitiiyavighnam"). Also, Pradosham falls on March 8, and it is usually the case that on Pradosham evenings, the Rudram is chanted, and no Veda classes are held for 3 days afterwards (i.e. 3 days out of 15 are "student holidays").

Those interested in learning the following may please email me at the address in the header above (sjayana -at- ...), or call me at 408-738-1484:

Purusha Suktam
(This is traditionally the first Suktam taught to all beginners. The rest can be learned in no particular order.)

Rudram-Chamakam

Narayana Suktam

Durga Suktam

Taittiriya Upanishad

Vishnu Sahasranamam

Regards,
Kartik

PS: Please feel free to forward this email to interested persons. Thanks.