[Advaita-l] Books on advaita (any recommendations)?

Dr D Bharadwaj drdbharadwaj at gmail.com
Sat Feb 28 20:08:00 CST 2009

Makarandam is great. There is also a small but powerfull
exposition on Advaita, by name 'Kaivalya Navaneetam' by an  author who chose
to remain pseudonymous[?].

This book has the distinction of being praised by Bhagavan Sri Ramana for
its brevity, simplicity, directness and lucidity. Bhagavan had also
recommended this book on several occasions. A good English translation of
this original Sanskrit [?] work is available in Sri Ramanashramam.

Though, strictly speaking, not a 'book', I recommend the unique, tiny,
profound monograph titled 'Who Am I ?'  by Bhagavan Ramana Maharshi. The
work was in Bhagavan's words [ originally in tamil ]....not in the ones
'ascribed' to him, in reminiscences and recollections etc., or in the ones
believed, in good faith, to be his. He had several times indicated that he
had come to teach in 'silence' and that he spoke 'only out of compassion'.
 But he had also said that if we need at anything at all 'in words' that may
be termed by us as his teaching we may turn to the small document, 'Who Am I
?'. It is translated into several Indian and foreign languages by the
ashram. As per Bhagavan's direction, it is priced the barest minimum.

'The Fotry Verses' by Bhagavan is a treat.

SrIguruBhyOnnamaha

sarvE bhavanthu sukhinah
sarvE santhu niraamayaah
sarve bhadrANi pasyanthu