[Advaita-l] mithya and maya

Sundaresan, Vidyasankar (GE Infra, Water) vidyasankar.sundaresan at ge.com
Tue Jan 6 14:25:53 CST 2009

>Some commentators on Shankara seem to blame him for making maayaa seem
like
>this, an obstacle to be overcome by jnana rather than by bhakta..

Well, to extend the magician-audience analogy for mAyA, the magician
does not have the same sense of wonder that his audience does. More
likely, he is merely amused.

>From the perspective of realization, when I see through the nature of
things and the jnAna dawns that I am indeed the magician, the sense of
wonder also vanishes. It is not as if the wonder is an obstacle to be
consciously overcome, but it is that it just ceases to operate.

Vidyasankar