[Advaita-l] Mimamsa Question: karmabheda in SAkAs (Jaimini Sutra 2.4.8 )

Jaldhar H. Vyas jaldhar at braincells.com
Wed Jan 7 19:40:52 CST 2009

On Wed, 7 Jan 2009, Sunil Bhattacharjya wrote:

> Is it not so that in the Brahmasutra importance was given to the views
> of  Jaimini  if not more than to the views of Badarayana himself.

No I think that is too much of a stretch.  It is true that Jaimini is
mentioned by name more often than Badarayana but as the "default" position
of the Brahmasutras is that of Badarayana that hardly means anything.  The
sutra genre prizes brevity above all so it would be pointless to mention
the authors name unless absolutely needed to prevent ambiguity.  Also
while Jaiminis views are mentioned as siddhanta in some cases, they are
refuted in others.  See 1.3.26-33 for an example.

So there is reason enough to consider Vedanta and Purva Mimamsa as two
seperate darshans but one cannot take it too far in the other direction.
They are two very closely related darshans.