[Advaita-l] Query on Ishvara in the Yoga darshana

Naresh Cuntoor nareshpc at gmail.com
Fri Jan 16 07:49:24 CST 2009

Per Patanjali's yogasutras, Ishvara is considered a special PuruSha.
To quote the relevant sutras:

"klesha-karma-vipAkAshaiH aparAmRuShTaH puruSha-visheShaH IshvaraH".

Ishvara is that special PuruSha who is untouched by the five
afflications, deeds and results accruing (according to deeds and
vAsanAs).

... "tasya vAchakaH praNavaH"
Om is his designator.

Ishvara is also said to be the Guru of the ancients (sa pUrveShAmapi
guruH ...). He, like other puruShas, is the knower of the intelllect.
("buddheH pratisaMvedI puruShaH" - Vyasa).

So, there is no reference to vedantic/paurANic themes of sRuShTi-kartA, etc.

Some say, however, that these references to Ishvara are a latter
addition to the yogasutras.

-Naresh