[Advaita-l] Pancikarana vs. Trvrtkarana (Analysis)

Bhadraiah Mallampalli vaidix at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 27 11:13:03 CDT 2009

Dear list members,

Regarding Sankara Bhagavatpada's remark about applying Samana Nyaya to both Panchikarana & trivRtkarana,

I would accept this term at face value.

Samana is the highest balancing principle. How one applies this principle depends on ones own understanding

of either model and experience/exposure to the realities involved. As we are dealing with live systems,

every model interacts with other models. If two or more valid models interact, there is no way to reject either

as higher or lower and there is also no need to delineate a particular method how they interact and multiply

together. In steady state it can be like a matrix multiplication, but at other times it may be unpredictable.

If either of the models is wrong or lower, Acharyaji would not have granted samana nyaya at all.

Regards

Bhadraiah