[Advaita-l] Nondual Experience - isn't that a contradiction?

Suresh mayavaadi at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 8 08:40:00 CDT 2009

Hello,

In non-duality, there cannot be any experience because experience implies duality. But without experience/knowledge/perception, how can the truth of non-dualism be verified? Put simply, knowledge is possible if there's a separation between subject and object. But the knower cannot know himself, because he's the subject and object.

In fact, the knower can't even observe himself because he is the observer as well as the observed...kind of similar to the eye being able to observe everything except itself. In other words, the knower (call him atman/Brahman) cannot observe or know himself. He can observe his reflection, similar to how the eye can know itself only through reflection.

How then do we explain non-duality? How do we explain Brahman's nature as bliss when he can't be experienced?

Warmly,
Suresh