[Advaita-l] SRI SUKTAM - Meaning

Dr D Bharadwaj drdbharadwaj at gmail.com
Mon Mar 2 03:23:18 CST 2009

Dear Sri Narayan,

praNAm

I think the practice of selective 'holding back' of the knowledge
by highly knowledgeable persons is not uncommon. There is the question of
adhikara siddhi, the question of  intrinsic quality of guhyata, esoteric
nature, of certain vidyas. Besides there is the prerogative right of the
'giver' of knowledge. There was no rule or compulsion or a dhaarmic vidhi,
or even an achaara, practice, to give away or disseminate 'all' that one
knows to 'all' without a discrimination or discretion. One example is the
Gayatri Mantra or veda patha are considered or believed [at least, were,
in those days] to be only for certain people who had undergone an upanayana
samsaara.

Once a pandit or a sastrakara is convinced [ whether rightly or wrongly or
in a contestable manner] of this need to be discreet selective in the
exercise of the prerogative of the vidyaadaana, there are several options
open before him to try to execute the idea at least to the extent possible.
One of the ways resorted to in the tradition is the one under discussion.

Though the methods employed may be different and more friendly to 'current
collective intellect', the idea and the sanction of the practice
of selective dispensation of knowledge is still in vogue. The knowledge of
the specifics of the 'critical mass' involved in the chain reaction of
controlled atomic fission [ which can be employed in fusion also] is a
highly guarded issue. We have the qualifying tests, entrance exams personal
interviews even for imparting the modern day knowledge systems which are
largely [ not entirely] data or info oriented.

Also there is the angle of empowerment. There were vidyaas that could bring
name, fame, prosperity riches, raajaadarana which in turn empower an
individual socially. There were vidyaas that could 'directly' empower the
individual with occult powers to influence people, circumstances, events
etc. There were simple petty to major siddhis that generally sought after.
And there were also 'mystical' acts of both
omission and  commision consciously executed by individuals who were
believed to have developed  and be acting from faculties higher than [ at
least other than ] the heavily reason-oriented intellect.

And above all, there is the unique, singular apaurusheya tradition. I don't
want to go into the merit, worthiness and
vitality of upholding the apaurushaya tradition. But, those that were
convinced [rightly, wrongly or debatably] of the merit such a tradition [ or
of,perhaps,even its the indispensability ], may have felt the need to
'perpetuate' the tradition. One sure shot way, for them, to do it would be
to hold back some finer, vital aspects of 'the teaching' and earmark them
for live and discreet channels of transmission through  the mukha of the
teacher.

'Wrong hands' anybody, at that time and in that context, that may, if
empowered,  topple our apple cart. Wrong hands is, of course a relative
term, relevant only to the
relative perceptions,,,,for what is right or wrong in the absoluteness? For
Bush and the US, Saddam and Bin Laden were the 'wrong hands' to hold the
nuclear arsenal.....not so for Iraq.  They may have perceived some kind of
justified or unjustified threat to the apaurusheya tradition or may have
had some premonitions of the possibility of destruction of the
'live' aspect of our hoary culture, to be motivated to 'deliberately' hold
back.

SrIguruBhyOnnamaH
SrIramaNArpaNamastu

sarvE bhavanthu sukhinah