[Advaita-l] Svarita in RV and YV (was Re: SRI SUKTAM - Meaning)

Vidyasankar Sundaresan svidyasankar at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 4 21:21:45 CST 2009

Andreas,

One has to be very careful when comparing vedic recitation tones to musical tones and semitones. There is a lot of confusion out there, stemming from various sources.

Indian music theorists like to trace the origin of musical tones in Ragas to the Vedas. However, it is most misleading to think of the veda recitation tones (no matter which style of chanting) to the notes.

Music has requirements about relationships between notes, e.g. semitone, perfect fifth, perfect fourth, etc. The Veda, on the other hand, is to be recited in its own well preserved manner, not set to music. In recitation styles that employ two pitches, there is no set relationship between them. All that is required is that one pitch be higher than the other. In other styles that employ three pitches, there is a lower, middle and higher pitch used. Again, there is no set relationship among these pitches. In some passages, the lowest pitch is a full tone below the middle and the higher pitch is a semitone above. In other cases, the lowest pitch is only a semitone (or even a quartertone) below the middle and the higher pitch is a full tone above. Both cases and variations thereof are valid.

It is too much of a stretch (although many people do it all the time) to compare Vedic recitation to the Hindustani Raga Bairagi Bhairav or the Carnatic Raga Revati. In fact, there is a traditional caution against mixing Vedic recitation with regular music. The person who sets the Veda to music is considered one of the most inferior of reciters, on par with he who recites it too fast or with vigorous head-shaking or one who reads it from a book (as opposed to memorizing the text) or one who mutters inaudibly or one who does not know the meaning.

Regards,
Vidyasankar