[Advaita-l] Dr Mani Dravid

S Jayanarayanan sjayana at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 13 17:10:48 CDT 2009

--- On Fri, 3/13/09, Venkata Subramanian <venkat_advaita at yahoo.com> wrote:

> From: Venkata Subramanian <venkat_advaita at yahoo.com>
> Subject: [Advaita-l] Dr Mani Dravid
> To: "A discussion group for Advaita Vedanta" <advaita-l at lists.advaita-vedanta.org>
> Date: Friday, March 13, 2009, 10:27 AM
> I met Dr. Mani Dravid in person yesterday at Chennai.  I
> find him a person of a good quality learning and humble in
> attitude.... his maternal grandfather is the famous
> Rajarajeshwari Sastry Dravid of Varanasi.......!
>
> I of course asked him - whether Mulavidya tradition is
> really Bhashya virudha - or it is not so;
>
> He told me - the tradition of Panchapadika is not
> incorrect; and in fact even the Holenarsipur tradition is
> also in fact not incorrect totally.

The first part that the Panchapadika tradition is not incorrect: implying that the Panchapadika tradition is correct.

The second part that the Holenarsipur tradiation is not incorrect *totally*: implying that the Holenarsipur tradition is incorrect *partially*.

In other words, those parts of the Holenarsipur tradition that contradict the Panchapadika are to be cast aside as incorrect, the rest may be accepted.

> They are prakriyas
> within the Bhashya and there is no problem in the Advaita
> tatva.  He said that the panchapadika & other
> explanations are from people who are versed well in other
> shastras as well; and unless one knows Nyaya & Mimasma
> well one cannot appreciate their views.  He said that
> Panchapadika is saying what the bhasya is saying and is not
> opposed to it.

It is obvious from the above that Dr. Mani Dravid is siding with the Panchapadika and that its doctrine takes precedence over the "newly begun" viewpoint.

> Thanks & Regards,
> Venkat.
>
> Sadgurubhyo Namah.

Regards,