[Advaita-l] Time

Michael Shepherd michael at shepherd87.fsnet.co.uk
Wed Mar 25 06:28:25 CDT 2009

Maheshji, Sunilji, and others,

This question of time offers me the opportunity to raise a question on
behalf of Western and non-Hindu readers alike :

Advaita Vedanta makes it clear that kaala -- which seems to cover the sense
of time, allotted period, fate. and life itself -- is inherent in the
relationship between Brahman and Maya, and thus phenomenal.

But other darshana have their own viewpoints, which are of interest : not
least, Sankya's 'atomic time-clock' definition that it can only be measured
as 'the duration taken by an atom to traverse its own unit of space.' !
Some regard it as beginningless; immaterial; to be distinguished as absolute
and relative; inert; devoid of the guna; to be seen simply as past, present,
and future; subject to destruction; a tattva; and a constrictor to the
individual jiva..as a kosha (kalakosha ?)

I think we can recognise most of these definitions from experience.

So it raises the question for non-Hindus : do the individual darshana --
such as, in this case, Advaita Vedanta -- say more, or less, about a
specific topic because of 'keeping half an eye' on the definitions of the
other darshana; as Adi Shankara sometimes does verbally or by implication ?

I hope this makes sense..

Michael