[Advaita-l] Waking and Dream States

vaidehi chaitanya vaidehi.chaitanya at gmail.com
Mon Mar 30 14:43:53 CDT 2009

hari om to michael shepherd

see if this is useful for your understanding. here i wish to present
to you how goudapadaacharya compares waking state with that of dream
state and proves that waking state is also an illusion:

from Mändukya Upanishad – Vyathatya prakarana

The Illusion of Waking state is proved:

# Just as dream objects are unreal in dream state the objects in the
waking state are also unreal due to the commonness of being seen (
Druçyatvät) i.e. ‘being perceived’ as an object of experience in both
the states.

# that which is not present in the beginning and end is also not
present in the middle i.e. during the time it seems to be existing.
Though they are on the same footing as the unreal, yet they are seen
as though real. Eg. Mirage, snake on the rope.

# even from the utilitarian point of view, the waking state is not
real for-the same utilitarian value is contradicted in the dream
state. Eg. We have quentched our thirst, satiated our hunger in the
wakig, but we eat and drink in the dream for want of quenching thirst
and hunger. Therefore, even the need seen in waking state has a
beginning and an end just as in dream.

# however, it can also be that there is uniqueness of experience in
dream such as an elephant with four tusks, two heads etc., which
enables dream state true – was a sudden tangential observation made by
the poorvapakshi – opponent. Gudapada uses this this show the illusory
nature of not only the dream but also the waking state by comparing
the waking state and  dwellers of heaven. The uniqueness is attributed
to the experiencer in that particular state ( sthänidharma)  as in
case of dwellers of heaven. Indra is attributed to have thousand eyes
etc., similarly in case of dream also. Al these are imaginations of
the mind.

Even in the waking state we day dream just as we dream in the dream
state. How different is it ? so, it depends on the perceiver in that
particular state of experience. The experience of the dwellers of the
heaven, though may be real for them, is not real for us both in waking
and dream state.

# In dream state it is reasonable to agree that whatever we see is
imagination of the mind within us. But we see objects and their
truthfulness outside of us in the waking state. Also, due to
commonality of experience unlike in the dream state. Therefore, waking
state must be real and not a mental projection. Therefore, conditions
under which something exists determines the Reality of experience
viz., inside and outside (ANtíetsa - bihíetsa antaçcetasä –
bahiçcetasä). This stand by the opponent is rejected  by Gauda pada
saying that the inside – outside as perceived in both states are only
imaginations and are therefore relative to each other. For, all this
notion  of inside and outside is because of the shift in theLocus of
Identification  which is our gross body (sthüla çaréra) in waking
state and subtle body (sükñma çarérain) in dream state. When there is
a shift in the locus of identification, i.e. the point of reference,
there is a corresponding shift in the concept of location of
experience and their respective objects of experiences viz., inside in
case of dream state and outside in case of waking state.

However, even in dream one makes a division of inside and outside,
real and unreal etc. for example, in dream also I can see snake on the
rope. But when woken up I will see the unreal of the dream as unreal
and even the realof the dream also as unreal. Therefore, in both
cases, the inside – outside notion is mere imagination of the mind.

One of the profound implications of this reference point is on the
notion of creation. Creation in dream is happening at a locus
different from that happening in waking state. From the waking state
point of locus, the dream state is falsified and similarly, from the
dream state of locus point, waking should be falsified. However, we
misconstrue the relative reality of the waking to be the Absolute
reality having no changes – a taken for grated assumption- and falsify
the dream state alone without questioning the waking state by the same
logic with reference to dreamer’s stand point. On questioning the
waking state from the dreamer’s stand point, the waking state is as
much false. Therefore, the creation in both states is false.

It is for the same reason of misplaced reality of Absoluteness that
the vagueness of experience of objects in dream and their definiteness
of waking state are also considered to be the projections of the mind.
Similarly, the psychological time (icÄkal cittakäla) in the mind
(refering to dream state) and physical time (Öykal dvayakäla)  with a
beginning and an end refereing to waking state are also projections of
the mind alone.

     So, what is the criteria for Absoluteness?

- changelessness, and eternality are the criteria for Absoluteness. It
is called paramartika satta which is deviod of waking state reality
and dream state reality. Waking state reality can be called
transactional reality / objective reality (vyaavahaarika satta) and
dream state reality is called subjective reality (pratibhasika satta).
>From the standpoint of the Absolute state of Reality i.e.
paaramarthika satta, even the vyaavaharika satta is pratibhasika satta
itself because both realities are projections of the mind alone.

hari om

vaidehi chaitnaya