[Advaita-l] REQUEST FOR GUIDANCE

Praveen R. Bhat bhatpraveen at gmail.com
Wed May 20 01:11:41 CDT 2009

praNAm all,

Hari Om, Vidyasankarji,

On Wed, May 20, 2009 at 3:17 AM, Sundaresan, Vidyasankar (GE Infra, Water) <
vidyasankar.sundaresan at ge.com> wrote:

> Personally, in an advaita vedAnta context, I would like to detach the
> adjective "free" and just talk of "will". Human beings, especially in
> our contemporary educated population, like to think we have "free
> will", whereas we always operate under constraints - personal,
> cultural, social, political, historical and geographical.

Thats a very interesting point about having will but not as free as one
thinks it to be. IMHO, even the icchA to do something is purva karmA driven,
meaning the person's willingness to do one thing more than another itself
comes from purva saMskAra. Unfortunately, mortals have a focus of a singular
life, that too restricted by memory, to see where this purva saMskAra comes
from.

gurorarpaNamastu,
--Praveen R. Bhat
[Br.Up. 4.5.15] */