[Advaita-l] Disccussion on Free-will

Mahesh Ursekar mahesh.ursekar at gmail.com
Fri May 22 12:30:45 CDT 2009

Pranams Sadananda-ji!

You write:

>>all actions are done by the prakRiti alone

Using the term prakRiti in Advaita is rather tricky since it brings to mind
the Sankhyan prakRiti which is jada & an ultimate reality like purusha.
Further, being jada, it cannot act *alone* but only by samyog with Purusha.
In any case, if we assume this principle for now, then when you write:

>> Neither jnaani nor ajnaani really acts.
and
>> Otherwise there is no difference between jnaani and ajnaani. Neither one
is really a doer at >> any time.

If there cannot be an ownership of action by either the jnaani or ajnaani
then it implies that prakRiti, representing everything in the Universe
(sentient & insentient), acts as one unified whole. What causes it to act?
Purusha or Brahman. Individual action then is a myth. Which, oddly enough,
supports my position that individual 'free will' is an illusion. It is
universal, all pervading prakriti that is causing you & me to act but due to
delusion, we think we act out of our own free will. Or, in Sri Ramakrishna's
words, the Mother is the one that causes you & me to act.

Unless, my reasoning is flawed somehwere...

>> By the by, did you see my mail on the list serve or in archieves? For
some reason I do not >> get my posts, I have to ask Shree Jaldhar or Shree
Vidya.

I think it is best to check with Shree Jaldhar or Shree Vidya.

Thanks, Mahesh