[Advaita-l] Sivaanandalahari - 25

Anbu sivam2 anbesivam2 at gmail.com
Sat Nov 21 07:45:42 CST 2009

Sivaanandalahari - 25 (1)
स्तवै-र्ब्रह्मादीनां जय-जय-वचोभि-र्नियमिनां
गणानां कैलीभि-र्मदकल-महोक्षस्य ककुदि ।
स्थितं नीलग्रीवं त्रिणयन-मुमाश्लिष्ट-वपुषं
कदा त्वां पश्येयं करधृत-मृगं खण्डपरशुम् ॥ २५ ॥

stavai-rbrahmAdInAM jaya-jaya-vachobhi-rniyaminAM
gaNAnAM kailIBi-rmadakala-mahokShasya kakudi |
sthitaM nIlagrIvaM triNayana-mumASliShTa-vapuShaM
kadA tvAM paSyeyaM karadhRuta-mRugaM KaNDaparaSum || 25 ||

When will I see you, who is praised by Gods like Brahma, who is with Rishis
uttering “Jaya Jaya “, who is with playing Gnanas and who is seated on hump
of a fat bull, who has blue neck and three eyes, who is embraced by Uma and
who holds deer hatchet in the hand.

*Commentary*

Aum

It is impossible to describe the gaambeeryam and vaibhavam of Parameswara
who stays in close company of Uma in Kailaash. Indra, Brahma and Vishnu on
the one side, are singing hyms of praise of Parameswara. On the other side
are the Brahmanishtaas who are great thapasvis shouting in ecstacy at the
great sight of the auspicious Lord, slogans of victories such as Jai to
Parameswara! Jai to Neelagreeva! Jai Jai Jai to SaraNaagathavathsala! Siva
ganas such as Nandikeswara, Chandikeswara and Bringi are singing and dancing
ecstatically.

Hey! Parameswara! How can I describe your limitless Mahima! How else can one
get your dharsana if not for his sukrutham in millions of birth? Hey!
Parameswara! When am I going to see the dhivya dharisanam of you sitting
with Uma on the stout Vrishabha with the vedic deer on the one hand and the
brilliant plough on the other with your long blue neck and benign face of
kaarunyam?

In saying “neelagreevam thriNayanam Umaslishtavapusham karadhrithamrugam
khandaparasum” in this sloka of Sivaanandalahari, AachaaryaaL makes five
different swaroopa varNanai of Shiva. Let us narrate and enjoy these here
one by one.

(continued in 25 (2) )