[Advaita-l] Sankara on sannyAsa for Steadiness in GYAna (wasRe:Jivanmukti - Jnana plus Sannyasa pt 5)

Anbu sivam2 anbesivam2 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 19 04:19:58 CDT 2009

I am in complete agreement with the views of Jaldarji.

My point is that the concept of Aashrama is not divorced from the varna but
is part and parcel of it.  I REITERATE THAT ONLY BRAHMINS ARE QUALIFIED FOR
THE SANYASA AASHRAMA.

The purpose of Sanyasa Aashrama is to transcend the samsaara.  *Such
transending of samsaara is available for other varnas too but by such
non-gnana means as karma, yoga and bhakthi maargas by which they transcend
samsaara if they had not performed any kaamya karma.*  If they had performed
kaamya karma then it will bear fruit for them to enjoy in heaven and then
they will be born again.  No one in heaven or pithruloka can attain Moksha
but only those in Bhuloka therfore those in heaven and in the world of manes
will be born again in bhuloka.

The Brahmins are not qualified for non-gnana path to transcend samsaara.  If
a Brahmin follows these maargas then he will be born again.   Kaamya karma
will bring them heaven and then rebirth into any of the varnas or other
beings.  Nishkaama karma will bring them a birth as a Brahmin with a Guru
calling him at opportune moment.

*Adi Sankara's exhortion that only by Gnaana can one lliberate is addressed
to the Brahmins.*  It would vitiate the varnasrama dharma if he had
addressed this to any other varna.