[Advaita-l] Advaita vedanta or not? (was RE: waking, dreaming, sleeping, as mutually supportive)

Bhaskar YR bhaskar.yr at in.abb.com
Tue Oct 20 04:17:42 CDT 2009

sAshtAnga praNAms Sri Vidya prabhuji
Hare Krishna

Sri Vidya prabhuji :

Bhaskar, you know exactly what I mean! I am criticizing the methodology of

those who think they can extract "truer" and "more authentic" meaning from

the source texts.

bhaskar :

It is with the above intention (truer & more authentic) ONLY the later
vyAkhyAnakAra-s too from bhAmati, vivaraNa schools started their works is
it not prabhuji??  They were all ready to bludgeon each other in an
attempt to 'extract' the more authentic & truer meaning from the source
texts is it not prabhuji??  If the brawl between these two schools was
submissive,negligible and NOT harmful to the traditional view points, why
there was a need for any 'below belt' comments from the socalled
traditional flag holders?? why there was an attmpt of reconciliation by a
'neutral' AchArya prabhuji??  If someone, after seeing all these trifle
conflicts, makes a genuine attempt to 'retrieve' the meaning that he think
is 'more' authentic to the source text that too by exclusively resorting
to original 'source text', one cannot simply 'selectively' criticize the
methodology of this 'someone' while holding other 'fighting'
vyAkhyAnakAra-s at high esteem...If someone does that, dont you think
prabhuji that is mere biased 'preferential treatment'??

Sri Vidya prabhuji :

When I say these are not fossilized texts, I mean that you cannot attempt

to decry all later interpreters and then somehow miraculously "retrieve"
the

"original" intent and meaning preserved in the source texts.

bhaskar :

IMHO, it is rather an attempt to retrieve the original intent of the
source text than to a deliberate attempt todecry the later interpreters /
interpretations.

This is my last mail on this issue prabhuji...I take your words as
'concluding' remarks on this topic.  Thanks onceagain for your time &
patience prabhuji.

Your humble servant
Hari Hari Hari Bol!!!
bhaskar