[Advaita-l] Readings for Beginners

Suresh Marur suresh.marur at gmail.com
Wed Oct 21 02:44:46 CDT 2009

Ananya,

Namaskaar.

I will second Ramesh's thoughts. Some notes from my own experience.

I personally found Swami Dayanand Saraswati's books very useful in getting
the basic definitions right and get the foundations right.

I personally started with many books on Buddhism, Zen, books by Osho, Alan
Watts, and even contemporary new age books (Power of Now, etc.). Words like
soul, mind, world, God, consciousness etc. mean different things and each of
them use different contexts. So, unless we get the definitions right and the
right vedantic context for these words, things can appear contradictory and
tricky to resolve.

Books that I found particularly useful:

An Introduction to Vedanta
Purnamadah Purnamidam...
Vivekachudamani (his commentaries on selected 108 verses from the 500+
verses)
The Problem is You, The Solution is You
Emotional Maturity (a classic that I can read any number of times and gain
insights each time)
Value of Values

The CDs are very useful and I have used the time spent in traffic to very
good effect. It saves us from the chatter of FM radio and helps us use the
time very constructively. Lectures by Swamiji's disciple Swami
Paramarthananda on Upadesa Saram and also on the Bhagwat Gita are incredibly
good. They are both Vedantic scholars and are rooted in tradition. Once we
start hearing/reading, we get references to other texts and contexts that
interest us and get us started on a journey of searching...

Hope this helps.

- Suresh