[Advaita-l] Sankara on sannyAsa for Steadiness in GYAna (was Re: Jivanmukti - Jnana plus Sannyasa pt 5)

Sunil Bhattacharjya sunil_bhattacharjya at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 21 17:50:55 CDT 2009

Dear friends,

Our shastras have explained some complicated issues thorugn anecdotes. Here is one, which may help this extended debate going on without any sight of solution. Once a rishiputra went to King Jnanaka for the final lessons on Brahmavidya, on his father's insistence. Janaka was busy with the queen and could not attend to the rishiputra and the latter went back. The rishiputra had to come back to Janaka at the insistence of his father. This time Janaka had the time to talk to the rishiputra. Janaka apologiged for not being able to attend to him on the earlier occasion and suggested that they talk after rishiputra takes his meal. A sumptuous meal was offered to him but a sword was hanging over his head while he was having his meal. At the end of the meal Janaka asked him as to how he enjoyed his meal. He said that as the sword was hanging over his head his attention was on that and not on the meal. Then Janaka told him that though he (Janaka) is busy in the
 material world his attention is only on the Brahman and not on anything of the material world. This was the final lesson on Brahmavidya or rather the application of the Brahmavidya while living in this world of matters.

Regards,

Sunil K. Bhattacharjya