[Advaita-l] waking, dreaming, sleeping, as mutually supportive

Shrinivas Gadkari sgadkari2001 at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 21 22:59:49 CDT 2009

Namaste Michael,
(please address me simple as Shrinivas, without "ji")

> I'm trying to find whether 'dream' or taijasa can be
> redefined legitimately as 'mental actiivity' and thus incorporate not only
> nightly 'dreaming' and envisioning, but also the envisioning of poets and
> writers -- and by extension, the very Veda and Upanishads and Mahabharata
> etc, as created 'visions of truth'.

I think any serious student of veda/vedAnta/yoga will subscribe to "dream"
state including 'mental activity'. The term "day dreaming" is no coincidence.

I would not jump to a conclusion that 'visions of truth' are a product of
interaction between "dream" and "awake" states alone. Based on my understanding
they involve the other two states as well. However, the "vision" that is part
of the 'visions of truth', most likely becomes evident in "dream" state.

Regards,
Shrinivas

Thanks for that. I'm trying to find whether 'dream' or taijasa can be
redefined legitimately as 'mental actiivity' and thus incorporate not only
nightly 'dreaming' and envisioning, but also the envisioning of poets and
writers -- and by extension, the very Veda and Upanishads and Mahabharata
etc, as created 'visions of truth'.
And that, without offending the pandits...!
Michael