[Advaita-l] Sankara on sannyAsa for Steadiness in GYAna (was Re: Jivanmukti - Jnana plus Sannyasa pt 5)

Praveen R. Bhat bhatpraveen at gmail.com
Thu Oct 22 00:22:58 CDT 2009

Hari Om, Kartikji,

On Thu, Oct 22, 2009 at 10:36 AM, S Jayanarayanan <sjayana at yahoo.com> wrote:

> What is generally taught by advaitins is:
> "For one who has attained GYAna in the householder stage, vidvat-sannyAsa
> is prescribed in order to steady the GYAna and achieve jIvanmukti".
>
> Unfortunately, the above has been (intentionally?) misinterpreted, and some
> myths have been propagated in this thread...

The very idea of saMnyAsa not being necessary for jivanmukti belittles the
ashrama itself. Then there are all types of reasons for not being able to
take to saMnyAsa. I consider all of them bogus, except one: no mumukshatva.
A mumukshu with a burning desire for liberation couldn't care any lesser
about any reason; he is hardly under the bandhana of being able to decide
something with a bias any more! Of course, the saMnyAsa upanishat lists
umpteen eligibility points for saMnyAsa but I don't think they bind a person
from being a vividishA saMnyAsi. I think the unstable j~nAna is the last
nail in the coffin for non-saMnyAsins. I do agree that saMnyAsa doesn't
guarantee stability on its own, while providing a perfect platform for it,
but non-saMnyAsa almost guarantees losing that glimpse of viveka-vairAgya
even... making it almost a dream postponed.

As I read the entire thread in the past 2 days, it looked as if it went all
over the place, became repetitive, but hardly made any conclusive points
either way. So, this is a wonderful summing up by you.

praNAms,
--Praveen R. Bhat
[Br.Up. 4.5.15] */