[Advaita-l] Fw: Re: waking, dreaming, sleeping, as mutually supportive

Vidyasankar Sundaresan svidyasankar at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 23 09:27:24 CDT 2009

> > I dont think there is an entry for the vidvat sadas for non-dvija
> saNyAsi-s in shrungeri tradition ( I may be wrong here!!)...Why I am
> saying this is, 4-5 years back, I had met one saNyAsi from vaishya
> janAnga, during vedAnta shibira at Holenarsipura, he was saying there is
> no entry for non-brAhmin sanyAsi-s to participate in the vidvat gOshTi.

Let me ask you, what are we talking about here? Whether a non-brAhmaNa

can become a saMnyAsin or whether a non-brAhmaNa saMnyAsin may have

the same level of textual learning as a traditionally schooled brAhmaNa

saMnyAsin? Why mix up these issues?

My comments were reserved for the first question alone. The latter is

something on which there can be no general rule.

Vidyasankar