[Advaita-l] Rebirth

Shyam shyam_md at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 25 09:40:06 CDT 2009

The answer to your question is that it is the sukshma shareeram that takes rebirth.
What is sukshma shareera is answered in the TattvaBodha as

Apancheekrithapanchamahaboothaihi kritham Satkarmajanyam
SukkhaDukkhaadhibhogasaadhanam PanchaJnaanendriyani Pancha
Karmendriyani Panchapranadayaha Manaschaekam Bhudhischaeka
Evam Sapthadashakalaabhihi saha yaththistathi tatsookshmasareeram

That which is composed of five elements before undergoing the process called Pancheekaranam, which is born out of action, which is the instrument to experience the pleasure and pain, and which contains 5 sense organs, 5 organs of action, 5 pranas (prana, apana, vyana, udana and samana), mind and the intellect with the total of 17. This is subtle body.

The sense-organs of the sublte body are the principles lending sentiency to their respective gross sense organs - for example when you say touch, and try to analyze what it is - all that you can describe scientifically is the anatomic correlates of touch - you can describe depolarization of ion channels like sodium or potassium, or you can talk about action potentials transmitting along the nerves, or you can even localize certain areas in the cerebral cortex where these signals are eventually relayed and processed and again that involves more neurochemical activity. Now what part of this is what is touch - if you succeed in creating an isolation preparation  of all these intact components you may wel reproduce the exact same ionic currents but can you say "that" preparation "felt" touch? No. So what Vedanta talks about is that each of these sense organs has a presiding deity which is the nothing but the specific sentiency governing that particular
 sphere of activity.

So analyzed in this way, none of the 17 components of the sukshma shareeram have any identity with the gross body parts at all.

And it is this sukshma shareera that on the death of one physical body, finds itself occupying and lending sentiency to the next one based on Ishwara's Order - vassansi jeernani yatha vihaya as the Bhagwad Gita states.

I had provided a perspective on sooskhma and karana shareeras and rebirth in a response to a different set of questions which may also be relevant here. You can read it at:
http://www.adi-shankara.org/2009/08/karana-shareera-response-to-some.html

Hari OM
Shri Gurubhyoh namah
Shyam