[Advaita-l] Sivaanandalahari - 5

Anbu sivam2 anbesivam2 at gmail.com
Sat Oct 31 19:05:19 CDT 2009

Aum
Sivaanandalahari - 5स्मृतौ शास्त्रे वैध्ये शकुन-कविता-गान-फणितौ
पुराणे मन्त्रे वा स्तुति-नटन-हास्येष्वचतुर: ।
कथं राञां प्रीतिर्भवति मयि कोऽहं पशुपते
पशुं मां सर्वञ प्रथित कृपया पालय विभो ॥ ५ ॥

smRutau SAstre vaidhye Sakuna-kavitA-gAna-phaNitau
purANe mantre vA stuti-naTana-hAsyeShvachatura: |
kathaM rA~jAM prItirbhavati mayi ko&haM paSupate
paSuM mAM sarva~ja prathita kRupayA pAlaya vibho || 5 ||

I don’t possess expertise of scriptures Manusmruti, Siksha, Kalpam,
Vyakaranam, nruktam, chandas, Jyotisham, medicine, Sakunam, arts of pleasing
others with poems and music, in explaining Puranas, proper use of Mantras,
praising, acting and humour. How will the kings be pleased with me? Oh lord
of all beings, all knowing, famous, all pervading, who am I ? Please protect
this ignorant being with your mercy.

*Commentary*

Is there a bhoga greater than that was enjoyed by the great Mahabali? Even
Mahaabali who held the saarvabhauma padhavi of the trilokas understood that
nothing would be achieved by these padhavis and realized that he had wasted
his life like a pasu. ‘pasyanthi ithi pasavaha’ – what is prathyaksham was
taken by me as sathyam and I was satisfied and had wasted my time. “Aham
prathyayavedhyam jeevathathvam kim?” What is the thathvam of that jeevathma
that is known by the sound ‘I’? O Sarvavyaapi, I surrender to you. You are
the One to do away with my ‘pasuthwam’. So please, please give me that
upadesam that will release me from the shackles.

தானமுந் தவமும்யோகத் தன்மையும் உணரா வென்பால் ஞானமுந் தெவிட்ட இன்ப நன்மையும்
நல்குவாயோ
(தாயுமானவர்)

Whosoever chants this sloka in Sivasannidhi and prostrates before Pasupathi
is sure to be released from his pasuthvam.