[Advaita-l] Species, Evolution and Advaita Vedanta

Michael Shepherd michael at shepherd87.fsnet.co.uk
Sun Sep 20 05:13:18 CDT 2009

Friends,

I apologise once again if I raise a question already well chewed over in the
lists :

How do the sages here regard the concepts of the origin of species, and
evolution ?

For most of the rest of the world, the idea of nature driven only by sex and
hunger, and life 'evolving' from primitive forms to homo-sometimes-sapiens,
appear to be contrary to scriptural accounts.

Yet Hinduism and Christianity alike believe in a cosmos created and
sustained by love alone...how does advaita address this issue in the light
of the Vedanta ?

 I myself am moved by the vision of this 'wider picture' of 'evolution'. But
I seldom if ever read much that inspires me about this issue. It seldom even
gets to the point of 'hmmm, worth thinking about...' !

Michael