[Advaita-l] Jivanmukti - Jnana plus Sannyasa pt 4

Anbu sivam2 anbesivam2 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 30 07:44:58 CDT 2009

First of all Sanyasa Aashrama is for enabling one to attain Mukthi.
Jeevanmukthas don't need any aashrama per se but as they are dehis they
would happen to be in one aashrama or the other even though aashrama dharmas
are not of any use to them.

*Talking of sanyasa aashrama it is an important aashrama and should not be
considered as redundant* even though Mukthi being instantaneous happens in
any aashrama.  Yet again not everybody is qualified for sanyasa aashrama for
the simple reason that its pre-requisite is the abandonment of karma.  If
Kshathriyas, Vaisyas and Sudhras abandon their karmas then the world will
collapse.  So they are not qualified for sanyaasa aashrama.  In the very
first chapter of Bhagavat Geetha our Lord admonished Arjuna from the lame
talk of abandonment of his karma.  He said that even if he runs away from
his karma he is made of the guna of a kshathriya that would make him feel
guity for having run away and for others to insult him of having been a
coward for running away from the battlefield and trying to put a vesham of
sanyaasi to hide his cowardice.

In essense only Brahmins are qualified to enter sanyaasa aashrama.

Shyamji has ably described this aashrama.  Our thanks to him.