[Advaita-l] ‘Avidya’ in Advaita and ‘Gumma’ of Purandara Dasa

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Wed Apr 7 05:35:32 CDT 2010

Namaste Bhaskar ji,

The posts titled 'BhaavarUpa Avidya/AjnAna' by me and 'Avidya' in two parts
by Shyam ji have addressed the questions you have raised.  I presume that
you have read these posts and got the answer to your question.  However,
just to make things easy for you, let me put the teaching of the Shruti,
Smriti and Shankara Bhagavatpada on this in a nutshell:

1. Avidya/Maya are not different from each other.  You may await my posting
an article on this here.

2. Avidya/Maya is bhAvarUpa

3. It is unreal (mithyA).  This means it is not of the nature of a hare's
horn, etc.

4. Such a thing can produce effects. These effects are perceivable.  Their
having 'sattaa' amsha in them does not make them pAramArthika satya.  Nor
does it render them akin to a hare's horn.  It is called vyAvahArika satya.

You may read those posts for an elaboration of these points.

Best regards,
Om Tat Sat