[Advaita-l] A vichAra on Swatantra & Paratantra (Independent & dependent Realities)

Shrisha Rao shrao at nyx.net
Sun Apr 11 06:52:18 CDT 2010

El abr 11, 2010, a las 11:58 a.m., V Subrahmanian escribió:

> I think we can close the exchanges on this thread and perhaps continue it
> privately, if needed and if there is anything to say.]

Not a bad idea, so this will be my last.

I do enjoy your postings when they actually quote and explain the works of the masters, but would offer the constructive criticism that it would be better if you were to steer clear of attempting to use Dvaitins' writings (or summaries of the same) to derive Advaitic positions.  Not only is there the question of whether the interpretations are true to the intentions of the authors, but there is also the risk of straying into theories that are inaccurate per classical theology.

For instance, recently you posted an analysis that attempted to use Purandara Dāsa's composition referencing a non-existent "gumma" to make points about how an unreal entity can have effects.  Sounds good, but actually it turns out that the "gumma" is a तुच्छ, an अत्यन्तासत् like वन्ध्यासुत, व्योमकमल, etc. (it is neither a व्यावहारिक object of worldly experience, like the pot, etc., nor is it प्रातिभासिक like the silver-nacre).  Such an entity has no साधकत्व according to Madhusūdana Sarasvatī, Brahmānanda, etc., also (yes, I say this from having studied precisely what has been said in this regard in the Advaita-Siddhi, etc.).  The difference is merely this: the Dvaitin position is that only a पारमार्थिक सत्य can have साधकत्व whilst Advaitins hold that even व्यावहारिक or प्रातिभासिक will do.  No one however considers a तुच्छ as having साधकत्व, and indeed one of the objections to the Advaitic position responded to in the Advaita-Siddhi is तुच्छस्यापि तत्प्रसङ्गात्.

Regards,

Shrisha Rao