[Advaita-l] "adhikarins" and the continuation of the body after jnana

Bhaskar YR bhaskar.yr at in.abb.com
Fri Apr 16 05:19:36 CDT 2010

ShankarAchArya disagrees.  GYAna does result in mokSha in all cases but
certain beings have been deputed by Ishvara to perform certain acts for
the
welfare of the universe.  (E.g. kR^iShNa dvaipAyana muni wrote the
mahAbhArata including the gItA and the 18 purANas, etc.)  Until this karma

is fulfilled, they will continue to remain embodied despite being GYAnis.
Note this is different from karma that they themselves did before becoming

enlightened.

My question for those currently debating (and of course anyone else who
would like to venture an opinion) is what is your take on this sUtra?
Does it  make you want to change your opinions in any way?

sAshtAnga praNAms Sri Vyas prabhuji
Hare Krishna

IMO, if we go by vAchyArtha of this sUtra commentary, we have to conclude
that jeeva & Ishwara bedha is eternal & some set of jeeva-s, even after
samyak jnAna (realizing that they are brahman) do have the adhikAra to do
dharma prachAra through punarAvrutti janma as per the instruction of
Ishwara. So, from this jeeva(s) is (are) always under the obligation of
following the instruction of supreme god (paramAtma).    Since we are
talking about special 'adhikAra' to ONLY some set of jeeva-s we have also
to conclude that there is an eternal bedha in jeeva-jeeva...Since the
individuality maintained even after dehapAta, these adhikAri jeeva-s are
eternally would act like 'deva gaNa' and would incarnate time and again as
and when Ishwara instructed them to do so...Though shankara says na cha
vijnAnAtmA paramAtmanO vastvantaraM, we have to say that yes, jeeva is
nothing but brahma, but this realization is like bubble realizing that it
is nothing but water but it maintains the individuality like 'bubbliness'
even though it is nothing but water.  I think this individuality in the
form of bubbliness (jeeva) is required and must to follow the instruction
of water (paramAtma)

Your humble servant
Hari Hari Hari Bol!!!
bhaskar