[Advaita-l] The Treatment of Avidya in Advaita - Part 1

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Sun Apr 25 01:05:16 CDT 2010

Namaste,

It would appear that among the three prasthAna-s the nyAya prasthAna is the
'authority' since it analyzes a number of issues, especially the ones where
there is a doubt in deciding the purport of the apparently contradicting
Upanishadic passages.

However, in the case of 'avidya' there is no such conflict.  If any conflict
is imagined it must be the ones 'created' by Shankara Himself, going by the
tenor of your opinion.  In fact in more than one place Shankara, as I have
shown in my article, has given a very clear meaning of what all avidya could
mean.  Those passages of the Gita, Mandukya and Brih.Bhashya-s do not put us
in any confusion as to what all avidya could mean: non-perception of the
Truth, wrong-perception of Truth and doubt.  Among these, Shankara, quite
legitimately, uses the term avidya to describe just only one of its
manifestations: adhyAsa aka vipratipatti, anyathaa-grahaNa,
atasmin-tad-buddhi, etc.  in the adhyAsa bhAshya.  In my considered opinion,
it is a premature, hurried and flawed conclusion on those who have
determined that 'according to Shankara 'avidya' is only adhyAsa'.

Since you spoke about the supremacy of the nyAya prasthana, let me quote one
more popular saying:

mAnDUkyam ekameva alam mumukShUNAm vimuktaye - the Mandukya upanishad alone
is sufficient for liberation.

I think the Muktikopanishat says this.  As per this, one need not go thru
the labyrinths of the three elaborate prasthAnas.  Just this one, the
smallest, Upanishad is enough to give one all that is required for
liberation.

Best regards,
subrahmanian.v