[Advaita-l] definition and criteria of Truth

Ramesh Nagarajan rameshnj18us at gmail.com
Mon Aug 2 12:20:40 CDT 2010

Adhi Shankara says there are three levels of Truths:  Pratibhasika,
Vyavaharika and Paramarthika.  The first two levels bind us and our destiny
is under the discretion of our mind.  The third level will reveal our true
nature and break the shackles of the mind.  We need to start from where we
are and work towards the goal of finding the ultimate truth.

In my humble opinion, Truth, by definition should remain the same at all
times.  Secondly, the truth experienced by all the people should be the
same.  If they don’t satisfy those two conditions we need to call it as an
illusion, which changes based on the eyes of the beholder.

I have discussed about Pratibhasika, Vyavaharika and Paramarthika in the
blogspot  -
http://abideinthetruth.blogspot.com/2010/02/where-spiritual-path-takes-us.html

Thanks,
Ramesh