[Advaita-l] Adi Sankara's comment about Prayascitta Karma and Sureshvaracharya's comment about Nitya Karma

Bhaskar YR bhaskar.yr at in.abb.com
Mon Aug 9 03:18:17 CDT 2010

That wouldn't be exactly in other words! What I meant to say is that
titiksha is to endure those evil effects, while what you're saying is
sAdhaka is protected by the evil effects due to prayascitta karma.

praNAms
Hare Krishna

The virtue 'titiksha'  is what the result (phala) of that prAyaschitta
karma !!  What I am trying to convey here is, shAstra vihita prAyaschitta
karma which is done in a remourseful manner would bring the resilience to
withstand the evil effects of past (bad) karma.  Please note, it does not
mean that prayaschitta karma  would act as an 'astra' to completely
annihilate the 'phala' of  our pApa karma :-)) The karmaphalAdhyAksha
(Ishwara)  may bestow the strength to face the 'evil effects' and continue
to help the sAdhaka to continue his sAdhana without losing the tranquility
of his mind.  If you see the Rigvediya pavamAna khila maNtra-s there is a
big list of sins (including guru patni gamana, mAtA pitru vadha etc.) that
you can overcome by reciting the pavamAna sUkta and likewise in hOma
vidhAna we have 'kUshmAnda hOma' for the 'sarva prAyaschitta'...But this
does not mean that : 'do anything you want and then observe these
prayaschitta and get away without any 'evil effect' of those sinful
acts'!! prayAschitta karma prescribed in our shAstra-s for the nishedha
karma-s which we have done without our knowledge.

Hari Hari Hari Bol!!!
bhaskar