[Advaita-l] Adi Sankara's comment about Prayascitta Karma and Sureshvaracharya's comment about Nitya Karma

Venkatesh Murthy vmurthy36 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 9 04:35:04 CDT 2010

On Mon, Aug 9, 2010 at 1:48 PM, Bhaskar YR <bhaskar.yr at in.abb.com> wrote:
> That wouldn't be exactly in other words! What I meant to say is that
> titiksha is to endure those evil effects, while what you're saying is
> sAdhaka is protected by the evil effects due to prayascitta karma.

Sri Praveen Bhat is right.  Adi Sankara  said 'Nahi Prayascittadibhir
Hetubhir Vina Karmanam Ucchedaha Sambhavyate'. Prayascitta Karma will
definitely extinguish bad karma no doubt here. Nastyatra Samshayaha.

> praNAms
> Hare Krishna
>
> The virtue 'titiksha'  is what the result (phala) of that prAyaschitta
> karma !!  What I am trying to convey here is, shAstra vihita prAyaschitta
> karma which is done in a remourseful manner would bring the resilience to
> withstand the evil effects of past (bad) karma.  Please note, it does not
> mean that prayaschitta karma  would act as an 'astra' to completely
> annihilate the 'phala' of  our pApa karma :-)) The karmaphalAdhyAksha
> (Ishwara)  may bestow the strength to face the 'evil effects' and continue
> to help the sAdhaka to continue his sAdhana without losing the tranquility
> of his mind.  If you see the Rigvediya pavamAna khila maNtra-s there is a
> big list of sins (including guru patni gamana, mAtA pitru vadha etc.) that
> you can overcome by reciting the pavamAna sUkta and likewise in hOma
> vidhAna we have 'kUshmAnda hOma' for the 'sarva prAyaschitta'...But this
> does not mean that : 'do anything you want and then observe these
> prayaschitta and get away without any 'evil effect' of those sinful
> acts'!! prayAschitta karma prescribed in our shAstra-s for the nishedha
> karma-s which we have done without our knowledge.

Prayascitta karma will take care of bad karma but titiksha is if you
do not do prayascitta. Adi Sankara means bad karma will be
extinguished by Prayascitta. If you do not do Prayascitta you will
experience the bad phala of the bad karma. If you do not do
Prayascitta there is one and only way to avoid bad phala.  That is to
get Brahma Jnana. It will extinguish bad karma. But if bad Phala is
Prarabdha even Brahma Jnana will not stop it. It is better to do
Prayascitta before bad Phala comes to you.  If no Prayascitta and no
Brahma Jnana get at least titiksha. You will have strength to face the
bad Phala of the bad karma.

Regards

-Venkatesh