[Advaita-l] Adi Sankara's comment about Prayascitta Karma and Sureshvaracharya's comment about Nitya Karma

Venkatesh Murthy vmurthy36 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 9 23:05:56 CDT 2010

On Mon, Aug 9, 2010 at 1:48 PM, Bhaskar YR <bhaskar.yr at in.abb.com> wrote:
> vidhAna we have 'kUshmAnda hOma' for the 'sarva prAyaschitta'...But this
> does not mean that : 'do anything you want and then observe these
> prayaschitta and get away without any 'evil effect' of those sinful
> acts'!! prayAschitta karma prescribed in our shAstra-s for the nishedha
> karma-s which we have done without our knowledge.

Namaste Sri Bhaskar

 If he purposely does bad things thinking I will get Prayascitta done
and no bad effect will happen to me he is wrong.

If someone has bad behaviour does Kushmanda Homa it will be useless
for him. His bad karma will not be extinguished even if he did
Prayascitta. Check  BSB of Adi Sankara 3 1.10 in this sutra Karsnajini
said 'Nahi Sadachara hinaha Kascit Adhikrutaha Syat'.  He also gives a
Smruti statement 'Achara Hinam Na Punanti Vedaha'. A man with bad
behaviour will not get benefit of Veda Karmas. He will not get
purified with Prayascitta Karma also. It has no meaning.

Regards

-Venkatesh