[Advaita-l] Knowledge, renunciation and varNASrama rules

Kathirasan K brahmasatyam at gmail.com
Thu Aug 12 23:04:54 CDT 2010

Namaste

I believe this 'scriptural' restriction that Sannyasa can only be taken by
dvijas is not confined to all traditions. In fact, over time the very
advaita vedanta tradition has allowed non-dvijas to take up sannyasa.

However in the Kaula tradition, which is Tantrika, Sannyasa is allowed for
all peoples regardless of Varna. The Mahanirvana Tantra verse 8.225 mentions
this allowance.

Another interesting reference appears in the Yatidharmaprakasha where women
having taken sannyasa in the past is mentioned.