[Advaita-l] Knowledge, renunciation and varNASrama rules

Venkatesh Murthy vmurthy36 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 23 09:34:10 CDT 2010

On Sat, Aug 21, 2010 at 3:25 AM, Vidyasankar Sundaresan
<svidyasankar at hotmail.com> wrote:

>> Moreover in 1 3.34 he says Sudro Yajne Anavakliptaha the Sudra is not
>> fit to do Yajnas. In same sentence he says Vidyayam Api
>> Anavakliptatvam Dyotayati. Sudra is not fit for Vidya also. Nyayasya
>> Sadharanatvat. Because the same logic to not allow Sudra to do Yajna
>> and not allow him to get Vidya. He does not have sacred thread.
>>

> But the adhikAra for the vidyA obtainable through itihAsa-purANa is affirmed,
> and explicitly so.

If you read carefully the Purvapaksha argument in 1 3.34 your argument
is same argument for Sudras. But Adi Sankara rejects it.  He says
Sudra has no Adhikara for Vidya. This means they have no Adhikara for
Brahma Vidya also. Adhikara for Veda karma and Vidya are both covered
by Taittiriya Samhita statement.  It  is clear to Adi Sankara.Kindly
explain why your argument is different than Purvapaksha.

Adi Sankara cannot say Sudra cannot get Brahma Vidya  in 1 3.34  but
he can get it from Itihasa Purana in 1 3.38. Then there is no meaning
in 1 3.34.  Moreover Vedanta Vidya is Guru Upadishta but Itihasa
Purana Vidya can be learned without Guru also. We can simply buy books
on Itihasa Purana and read. But we cannot read Vedas like that. Guru
is necessary. How can it be the same?

Regards

-Venkatesh