[Advaita-l] Knowledge, renunciation and varNASrama rules - Is sanyasa ashrama sweekaram a must

Praveen R. Bhat bhatpraveen at gmail.com
Wed Aug 25 12:17:04 CDT 2010

Hari OM, Varadaraja ji,

Although you have posed the question to Vidyasankar ji, I couldn't help but
comment on your mention of Ramana Maharshi. You may be aware of the
following things in the Maharshi's life:

--He left home as a school kid to go to never return home again.
--When he went to Arunachaleshwara, he threw his yajnopavita, tonsured his
head, shed his clothes except for his loin cloth (and there was a rain to
bathe him)
--He served his hunger with bhikshA food thereafter.

Is this not saMnyAsa even in the traditional sense?

praNAm,
--Praveen R. Bhat
[Br.Up. 4.5.15] */