[Advaita-l] Brahmasutra bhashya reference question

Praveen R. Bhat bhatpraveen at gmail.com
Thu Aug 26 13:08:07 CDT 2010

Hari OM, Vidyasankar ji,

I'm unable to find "tad yatheha karmacito lokaH kshIyata evam evAmutra
puNyacito lokaH kshIyate" under janmAdasya yataH bhAshya in Samata version.
It does talk of Ch. 6.14.2 but that is "paNDito medhAvI
gandhArAnevopasaMpadyetaivamevehAcAryavAnpurSho veda". I checked the Samata
books Chhandogya Bhashya, its the same. Its the same in DK Printworld's
publication of E.Roer's Chandogya translation which also has Sanskrit. BSB
of Swami Gambhirananda's  English translation of BSB also points to
Ch.6.14.2 same as "A man, well informed and intelligent, can reach the
country of Gandharas...". There's no Sanskrit here.

So I searched online to see which Chhandogya mantra you mean and I found
that it occurs in Ch. 8.1.6. My Samata Books print Chhandogya (First
published 1910, Samata revised Edition 1983 and Reprinted 1999) suprisingly
has karmajito and puNyajito! E.Roer also has it down as karmajito and
puNyajito in Ch. 8.1.3. I could look up the Samata's BSB also if you let me
know which sUtra bhashya you want me to check. I don't think its under
2-janmAdasya yataH.

praNAm,
--Praveen R. Bhat
[Br.Up. 4.5.15] */